Cream of Asparagus, Parsnip & Spinach with Crispy Bacon
I love parsnip and often forget how much I enjoy this funny looking veggie! It's completely under used even though it's so versatile. I love the texture and the sweetness so I made a few chunky purees, different types of soups, and almost overdosed on it this week!
The soup I made yesterday is very easy to prepare, quite rapidly made and a delicious option for lunch or dinner. Adding the crispy bacon bits even satisfies the meat craving.. Perfect combination ;)
Prep & Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 2 bunch green asparagus, remove stems
- 2 cups tightly packed spinach
- 1 large parsnip, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 cups hot vegetable stock
- 1 cup smoked bacon, cut into 2cm pieces (veal or whichever you prefer)
- 1/4 cup crème fraiche or sour cream
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
In a large pot, heat a little olive oil and brown the onions. Add the asparagus, parsnip, spinach and seasoning then toss them around in the pot to get them a little toasted.
Add the hot stock, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes. Then using a hand blender, puree the soup, add the chopped parsley, half the crème and taste for seasoning.
In a dry pan, sauté the bacon until it's crispy, then drench on a kitchen towel to absorb the excess fat.
Serve the soup hot or cold, drizzle with a little more crème fraiche and top with the bacon bits. Enjoy!