September madness and a comforting Potato & Leek Soup...
|Image by Isidora Bojovic|
September... So lovely and yet so mad at the same time! Obsessed with my munchkins, happy to be back in Dubai and out about again after a pregnant year, and of course loads to work on for the next few months... So no time for a long post, but felt like sharing what's on the menu for dinner tonight!
Potato Leek Soup
Serves 4 – 6
Prep & cook time: 45 minutes
- 2 large leeks, cleaned and cut into rounds
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 6 medium sized potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp white pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 – 6 cups vegetable stock
- small knob of butter
- 4 slices beef bacon, diced (optional)
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Cook the leeks for a few minutes before adding the garlic. Cook for another minute or so then add the potatoes, nutmeg, pepper and salt.
- Stir for a minute, add the stock, and cover the pot with a lid. Cook for 20 minutes or until you prick the potatoes and they are soft.
- Using a hand blender, liquefy the soup. Add a small knob of butter, stir and season to taste one last time.
- If you are using the bacon, fry until crispy in a pan over medium heat (do not add any oil). Drain the fat off the bacon by placing them on a paper towel, then add to the soup and serve. Enjoy!
(As featured in Harper's Bazaar Arabia September 2013)